Hare I Am!

Hare I Am!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Hot and Steamy at Lake Steam Bath - a Review

Not far from downtown Denver, situated near the corner of West Colfax Avenue and Lowell Boulevard, in a quaint early 1900s-looking brick building you’ll find Lake Steam Baths. In operation since 1927, this family-run business offers a unique relaxation experience near the heart of the city. For a daily fee of $17 (check for current pricing and package discounts), one can enjoy a clothing-optional European-esque spa experience that includes a locker, small hand towel, showers, steam room, hot rock room, and a whirlpool/Jacuzzi.

Lake Steam Baths provides gender-specific days, so make sure you visit on the correct day. Currently, women’s days are Mondays from 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. – 10 p.m., and one Sunday per month from 4 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. October through April. Men’s days are every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 10:30 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Sundays from 6 a.m. – 3 p.m. Special “couples” days are also offered; however, guests must wear appropriate attire during these times.

Once guests enter through the front door and up the steps, they are greeted by a friendly receptionist (who will gladly give newbies a tour of the facility). There is a small dining room in which guests can purchase a fresh meal or bring their own food to enjoy with friends. Throughout the common areas of the facility, patrons clad in crisp white sheets sit and mingle while they rest in the restaurant area or relaxation room. Once guests step inside the bath area, they are greeted by one of the friendly attendants who provide a brief overview of the ins and outs of the bath house. This is where one will find the open showers, whirlpool, and clothing-optional lounging area. After guests have showered off, they are directed into either the steam room or hot rock room to partake in a relaxing, detoxifying experience.

The steam room offers a respiratory workout as eucalyptus oil lingers in the air to open one’s pores, ease breathing, excrete toxins, and moisturize one’s skin. The hot rock room provides the driest of dry heat that penetrates the body to aid in detoxifying the lymphatic system, releasing tension, and relieving aches, pains, and sore muscles. This is achieved using large ovens filled with “cherry red” rocks that are sprayed with water, which results in room temperatures between 140-160 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, take a dip in the whirlpool for some hydrotherapy to edge out any remaining stress or tension. Lake Steam Baths recommends enjoying each area for approximately 20 to 30 minutes in order to gain the most benefit.

In addition to the bath options, Lake Steam Baths also offers reasonably priced massage ($32), detox ($15), reflexology ($30/hour), soap and scrub or salt scrub for ladies ($10), and a men’s rub ($10 and up).

I had first heard about Lake Steam Baths from a friend who occasionally visits the location. I was interested, but a little skeptical at wearing my birthday suit in front of a bunch of strangers…who I may possible know or run into again some day. Awkward! So when a LivingSocial deal came up for Lake Steam Baths, I decided, “what do I have to lose when I can try this place out for half price?" So I hit the purchase button and a few months later away I went.

I brought my bathing suit fully intending to wear it, but when I got there no one else had one on, so I figured that would draw an eye to my already self-conscious self even more. Once I entered the bath area the atmosphere was actually quite respectful. Old and young alike lounged around and went back and forth between the rooms. I found myself saying, “Don’t look, don’t look,” afraid someone would think I was staring. Once I settled in, I was able to unwind and let my knots, sore muscles, and tired body relax and revitalize.

Towards the end of my visit, I opted to try the salt scrub with Mercy, the attendant. It was a little strange for a newbie to get a scrub down by a naked stranger in front of the other patrons in the bath area, but after watching a couple other women try it I figured, why not. I must say I felt very exfoliated after the treatment and I was able to further detoxify my pores in the steam room while slathered from head to toe in Epson salt.

Overall, the facility was clean and well maintained. I felt like I definitely got my money’s worth and slept like a log that night. It’s a great place to enjoy some R&R when you’re on a budget and want that day spa feeling without the day spa price. I would recommend checking them out to see for yourself how invigorating the Lake Steam Bath experience can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment